That Mike Dooley is a smart guy. So I wasn't surprised when he sent me a note from the Universe reading, “Happiness arrives not in the absence of problems, Loago, but in the absence of rules about when you can feel it.”
I totally agree.
Our happiness is too important to be relegated to ‘sometime maybe one day in the future’ when everything is just the way we like it.
And happiness is not as big a deal as we sometimes make it out to be. Since when do we have to leave everything we know behind to go Eat, Pray and Love so we may find joy and fulfillment?
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t have anything against enlightenment. It’s just that I personally like my happiness where I can see it – right here at home, day by day, moment by moment.
Wouldn't you rather learn to be happy right here even as you are engaged in the practicalities of your day to day life? Even with the overgrown garden? The bills calling to be paid? Even with the sick children, and the demanding boss?
For me I have found that gratitude for the life I have now is the true essence to finding my happy. No matter what challenges or problems I am currently facing, a rampage of appreciation where I spotlight all the things that are going right in my life in this very moment raises my vibration and starts the happy flowing.
I also do a rampage of self-acceptance and self-love where I hug myself and honor all the good things about me. My quirks and weirdness. My talents and my kindness. My kinky Afro. The strength to honor my worth and say no. The courage to say yes to my dreams and the strength to forgive myself for past mistakes.
This is the kind of happy that starts with me and doesn't require a change in the outer circumstances of my life. No need to wait for a tall, dark and handsome stranger to sweep me off my feet, nor board up my windows and head off to an ashram.
In addition to gratitude and self-love, and lest I make my happy business serious business, some of the lighthearted yet highly effective happy buttons I like to push include:
- Sitting on the sunny side of the porch watching the birds and the butterflies chilling in my garden (and by garden I mean overgrown weeds).
- Leaning back in my chair and going on a romantic mind date with James. As in James Franco. (You know things are going well in your fantasy relationship when you can call your movie star boyfriend by his first name.)
- Reading the world’s finest news from the guys who traced back human origin to one large goat - The Onion. And then there are the two Jimmys; Kimmel and Fallon.
- Watching my favorite comedy, 30 Rock (Dr. Leo Spaceman gives me gigglesnorts!)
- Going for a walk on the farm with my dog Benny. (Borrow a dog if you don’t have one.)
- Painting my nails a bright color. (The Happy is in the fumes.)
- Baking and eating cinnamon tea cupcakes (... use foil patty pans for extra cuteness).
- Lady Gaga said it well when she said “Just Dance!” ( … and DO I!)
- Cleaning the house and burning some incense. (Makes my home feel like it’s flowing and happy).
For those days when I am down and out and need to pull all the happiness stops, I call on Michael Bolton and together we belt out, “when I am back on my feet again.”
This is a simple kind of happy. Just the way I like it.
I would love to know, what are your favorite ways to get your happy on?
And if you really want to amp up your happy, come and join Amina's 30-day Joy Challenge where along with 232 other like-minded folk, you'll receive daily encouragement to do something - anything - that brings you joy. Plus every time you share your joy with the group, you get a chance to win a prize. How's that for happy?
* Loago Madigele is a Law of Attraction coach based in Melbourne, Australia with a background in financial investing (former Certified Financial Analyst, Senior Equity Analyst) who uses Theta Healing in conjunction with Law of Attraction to give clients a unique perspective in creating their dream job and succeed in their careers.. She is the creator of the Manifest Your Dream Job program and The Magic Manifesting Journal.